Pages

Micro Four Thirds - Not to be Ignored

Like many photographers, I keep an eye on what is happening to our technology to see what is new and interesting. More importantly, are any of these things of interest or use to me.

I do not do product reviews as such, but this post covers something that I feel is interesting as a technological development.

A few years ago I moved to mirrorless from DSLRs. The main reason was to reduce the weight and bulk of my equipment. I have also found that when shooting in public, I do not seem to get noticed as much, which has many advantages. This is almost certainly due to the annoying (but in this case useful) perception that the bigger your camera the more professional you are.

When I made the switch, I decided to go with the APS-C size sensor. I did take a look at micro four thirds, but it was lacking for me at that time. However, in the present day, I do not think it should be overlooked.

The Olympus OM-D E-M5 MKII is a camera with an interesting feature set, and it is the first camera in this system to have made me look twice. It just about covers everything you would need in a general use digital camera at an enthusiast or even semi-pro level. I will not bore you with the features, although I have linked to the Olympus site in this paragraph if you wanted to take a look. They seem to have thought of just about everything, and that includes the accessories. That is not surprising, as Olympus are old hands at this camera making lark.

I do not think the sensors can be taken over 16 million megapixels, so I think the future will have to focus on image quality and camera design. That seems to be happening already.

When the time comes change my camera in the future, I will certainly take a look at this system and the models available. There are two big names behind micro four thirds, Panasonic and Olympus, and I do not see them throwing away all that research and development any time soon.