Pages

Instant Print Film - It was Fantastic

In the middle to late 1970's, I was immersed in my new love of photography. Not content with just taking pictures, I started to notice what other people were using and owned. Some may say that this was my first experience of camera envy, and I think to some extent it was, albeit on a much smaller relative scale to the modern equivalent. What I mean by that is that the price and specification difference involved in that early envy was negligible. Of course, as I got older and learnt more, the gap did widen.

Anyway, back to the '70's…

My cousin, who is my age, had a Kodak camera that produced black and white images by pulling out a sheet and waiting for it to develop before peeling off the top layer. This was fascinating, and I was always slightly jealous of her.

About a year later, I am pretty sure it was the heatwave summer of 1977, I saw a Polaroid 1000 Land camera (why were they called 'land' cameras?) hanging around someone’s neck. We were on our family holiday, and I realised that we knew the lady that owned it. Feeling very brave, I politely asked her what it was. She demonstrated and took a picture. To my astonishment the photograph was delivered from the slot at the front of the camera and started to develop in front of my eyes. The wait was far more exciting than the peeling sheet type version because it appeared in front of as you watched. There was something rather appealing about the design of this camera, and interestingly today it still has a certain style icon charm for many people into the world of design.

As part of my recent camera and photographic rummaging at home, I remembered I bought a Polaroid Image 2 camera in the late 90's. I used it for random snapshots for about 6 months, until I decided my snapshots were better serviced with 35mm film in a small camera.

Polaroid (or a trading partner using the name) seem to be selling film again. I did not think you could buy original Polaroid film that is in date any more, and as this camera has a built-in battery in the film pack, I thought expired film may be too much of a gamble. I also discovered this week that just like Lomo, there is also some new film available from The Impossible Project. I am really pleased to see they have taken the plunge into this revival, and I do hope it will prove to be successful.

They do a colour and black and white version for my camera. Sadly, I have to balance the result, experience and price in relation to everything else I do. I am sure I am not the only one in this predicament, although I realise without the customers buying the film The Impossible Project may die. It could be a fun nostalgic experience and make an amusing addition to a photo shoot.

There are modern alternatives to the above, so it looks like there is a bit of choice for anyone seeking something for the tangible instant print. Perhaps this is an area of photography that will grow if the interest remains.