Pages

For the Love of Film

I never thought that photography would ever be something that caused me worry or stress, but there is one subject that in recent years bothers me. It sits on my shoulder whispering in my ear...

What on earth could be doing this to me, considering my entire creative existence is based on a love and passion about what I do? The answer is, in fact, simple. I worry about the reduction in the range and availability of film for cameras.

In recent years we have lost some gems – Fuji Reala was a film that I loved using. Hopefully all is not lost though, as I read that Fujifilm now earns more from film sales than their cameras. Film is a consumable, so it may makes sense for them to keep manufacturing it as it actually brings in an income. Sadly, they raised their prices a while back, which was linked to higher production costs as they are creating less of the product.

Ilford have had a rough few years, but seem to be okay for now. I think their FP4 and HP5 will always be in demand as long as people shoot film. I also take some reassurance from The Impossible Project with their instant films. Lomography have done a lot to revive film with their business model. They have some interesting products and special editions. In fact, something to suit everyone.

Kodak have a beautiful product in their Portra films. I love their ISO 160 version. This film has a truly beautiful colour balance and images look gorgeous. It was designed for portraits, but can be used for other work as well. They also make Ektar, which seems to have a slight reddish tone. I think this makes it ideal for landscapes, although I have not shot it myself yet. If Portra continues to be made, I think my own requirments will be catered for.

Is my worry justified? I would like to think it is not, but I hope the industry will continue to provide us with 'camera food' for many years to come. I hope we will always have film of some sort, but the products will probably continue to reduce into the ones that sell well. I suppose that makes good business sense. I know this is selfish, but I hope that my own preferred choices are the ones that survive.